Tuesday, October 13, 2009

There has only been one other time since J and I have been married that we have both received the same impression to act on something at the same time. It was last September when we realized that it was the right time to have a baby. And we found out we were expecting Evey 2 months later. Recently we had another impression to act. I’m not sure if this one will see results in a month or 2, but we’re just as excited nonetheless.

It was the Friday before last. J had gained us entrance into a party for Zack Arias being held at Chase Jarvis’s studio down by Gasworks Park. This was a pretty big deal to us – these guys are the big time when it comes to photography. I think J was a little nervous. He didn’t want to come across as a fanboy, even though he is.

The party was amazing! Chase’s studio is amazing, meeting all those cool people was amazing, just the energy of it all was amazing – we left that night smiling. I had really wanted to meet Meghan, Zack’s wife, and she was so friendly and warm. And Chase talked to me (just me) for like 10 minutes. He even got me an orange juice. (Now I sound like a fangirl.) These people don’t have to be that cool, but they totally are.

So the profound moment that night came as a result of being around all of those talented photographers. Meghan and I talked about life after having a baby (she had a son in May) and what it means to be a creative person and going on dates with your husband and working together with him. And Chase told me how his wife waited tables to support the two of them while he was getting started. I told him that I was willing to put the sacrifice in to help J because I know that he will return the favor someday and Chase said that was exactly what his wife said. And now here they are, working together and traveling the world.

We left the party close to midnight and as we were driving home I said to J, “If you decide not to go to school for architecture, I will understand.” He questioned what exactly I meant by that and I told him that I’ve been thinking that for a little while now, but being around all those other photographers made me realize that he should throw all his efforts into being a photographer full time. I look through these architecture magazines that (used to) come to the house and I was having a hard time picturing J as an architect. But I can picture him always with a camera by his side.

J reached over and grabbed my hand. He said, “I’ve been told all my life that you can’t make a living through art, but now all of the sudden we’re meeting all kinds of people doing just that. I think I want to change my major.” And I replied, “I think you should.”

J is a little frustrated that we couldn’t have had this feeling 2 years ago when he started school, but I think we both needed to have that “Aha” moment like we did with Evey.

We shot a family over the weekend (thanks Emily!) and it turned out so well. If the point of photography is to take good photos that people like, then we’re well on our way for that. Now we just need to get the business side running. J won’t be working during the school year in order to devote all of his spare time to building up his portfolio and his client base. So if you’re interested in having your picture taken, let’s set something up!

9 comments:

emilybolles said...

That is awesome! He is so talented and I know he'll be a very successful photographer. Laurel called me when she saw her pictures and was so excited because they are amazing! Apparently her whole family wants Jeramie to take their pictures now!!

Janetta said...

I agree with Emily! He is so talented and artistic and he will go far with this. I've handed out all his business cards, so I hope he gets some follow-through from them.

And we want him to do shoot #3 for us (for Christmas cards this time) soon too.

Richard said...

i tried to post a comment on J's pictures but nothing would open. so the i will do it here. GREAT JOB.
Like you said - good subjects and good photographers. GREAT combination.
pops.

emilybolles said...

I forgot to mention that you are a pretty talented photographer as well! I keep looking at the criddles pictures and our pictures and I just love them all! They are so beautiful! You two make a great team.

Allie said...

Evey-

Come to San Antonio when you've got some teeth.

I'll show you the ropes.

Until then, stay super cute. Although I think you have that one down.

Cousin C.

Tina said...

If you feel it, you've gotta go for it! When it comes on that strongly, you have to trust it.

BTW, molasses-walnut butter recipe (we halved it):

8 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup walnuts chopped fine
4 teaspoons molasses
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch salt

SO good!

Vanessa said...

That's awesome! You guys should definitely go for it if that's your passion. And we'll help J build his portfolio! I'm not all that photogenic, but Vivienne is a doll, so count us in! BTW the pics on the blog/web site are soooo great!

Allie said...

B-

Couldn't comment on J's blog-it wouldn't come up-but wow! What a neat surprise that you went to the temple! Congratulations. You kept a good secret!

Bridgette said...

I wish we lived closer so J (and his lovely assistant) could take our family pictures. I actually wished we lived closer for a lot of reasons. Can't wait to see you and E!!

 
designed by suckmylolly.com