Thursday, October 9, 2008

I'm going to take up Allie's challenge and post 10 quirky things about myself. I may have some trouble narrowing down the list.

1. My left thumb is shorter than my right (about 1/2") and curls up (like my elf toes). I was born that way.

2. I played with dolls until I was like 14. I made clothes for them.

3. The 1st thing I notice about people (just like Allie) are their toes and their teeth. If you're going to wear sandals, have clean, well-moisturized feet. If you're going to smile, brush your teeth. I am glad that J has nice toes (even though the only time he's even worn sandals was in Hawaii). Dry, cracked heels quib me out (see #5).

4. I cannot handle having my ankles touch, my knees touch (under most circumstances), my fingernails bent back, and my feet messed with (do not touch my toenails or I will kill you). (J does all of those things. Apparently he likes to get kicked in the throat.) I once stubbed my toe while wearing pointy-toed heels (and didn't realize that I had, in fact, stubbed my toe) and blood pooled under my nail. I had a nervous breakdown. J would try to help me and I would completely fall apart. I finally got the nerve to get it out, but it seriously took me a month to do it.

5. I have a word for those things - quib. Quib is a verb. "That quibs me out." Quibby is the adjective. "That will make me quibby, don't do it."

6. I am not 100% obsessive compulsive, but my clothes are organized by color, my books have to be organized according to category, then alphabetized, and I will spend hours trying to fix a stupid blog post where the pictures aren't spaced evenly. I will reprint our office newsletter if I missed a comma. That's not even close to everything. I'm probably 86% o.c.

7. My alarm clock must be set to an "off" number. No 7:00am for me. I'll choose 7:03am instead. Nothing ending in 0 or 5, and no palindromes (as much as I love those).

8. This I inherited from my mother: I count off things in my mind. Brushing my teeth - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, switch sides. Scrubbing the counter - I count the scrubs. Shaving my legs - I count the swipes. It's subconscious. I don't even realize that I do it most of the time.

9. I cried over a Campbell's Soup commercial. Like, sobbed. It was the one where the little foster girl goes to her new home and she won't say anything and the woman hands her a bowl of soup. The girl says, "My mommy used to give me this." The woman says, "Why don't you tell me about your mom and I'll tell you about mine." (I actually just teared up writing that.) I cry whenever I give a lesson at church. I have spent time crying over: "The Notebook," (I scared my mom after I watched that movie - I called her as the credits were rolling and she thought something awful had happened because I was crying so hard. She got me back by doing the same. I thought someone had died.) any good romance really, thinking about abandoned animals, thinking about old people in nursing homes, thinking about rape victims in Africa..I cry over a lot of things. Some are more worthy to cry over than others. But my tears are a renewable resource, so everything gets a wash.

10. I am late to everything. I almost got suspended in high school for being tardy to my 1st period English class. My boss in college would get red in the face (hard for her to do - she had waxy skin covered in make-up) over me being 3, 4 minutes late. Maybe it's a power thing. I hate being told what to do. I was late to our wedding, too. Don't try and tell me to pretend that I need to be at the place 10 minutes earlier than I have to be. My brain knows the reality. It won't keep up the ruse.

Bonus: I have 3 of something that others only have 2 of. 2 heirs and a spare.

5 comments:

Allie said...

I am TOTALLY laughing about the heirs and their spare.

HILARIOUS.

Can't wait to see what happens when you are bring pink or blue home.

Your quirks are hilarious, too.

I must say I do think I might be the only sister that made it through without the numbering thing.

And I had no idea your were so o.c.d.

Richard said...

I was once told by one of my daughter's fathers in law that I could take medication for my closet organization hang ups...oh, that's a good pun. As for counting....well, it gets me through some of the more mundane things in life such as folding cloth diapers, like 13 dozen of them in the olden days. Yikes! MOM...

Richard said...

Gosh, I felt like such a "boob" not understanding what you meant by the three of one thing on your bonus add on of quirky quirks. Silly you. MOM...

Torrie said...

is that why your always late to church?
i always just thought it was so everyone would turn and look at your cute outfit :)
okay- and what is your joke about- 3 of something? do tell. or did you and i didn't get it?

kelly said...

ooohh... what a juicy blog!
now we can skip the second date.
love the list.
my quirks would be way too long to list.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com