This week I've been trying out some new recipes from Everyday Food. So far I've had really good luck! The theme has been a different country's cuisine each night. Nothing has sucked, and some of them have even been elevated to "This is bomb" territory by J. Here are my favorites, in no particular order:
French night: Broccoli Cheddar Quiche (so easy - I plan on making it again with different combos), salad, garlic bread
Indian night: Tandoori Chicken Pitas (I didn't follow this recipe 100%, so if you want to make it too, I'll tell you what I did to simplify it. This was J's favorite.)
Italian night: Spring Risotto (No wine, of course. J was sure he wouldn't like this, but he did! Probably because I added extra Parmesan cheese), the rest of the garlic bread
Brazilian night: Steak with Parsley-Garlic sauce (the sauce is actually a chimichurri sauce, which is what makes this Brazilian), oven fries (these happen to be one of my specialties - 1 big potato is enough for 2 people, but red potatoes and sweet potatoes work well too. Keep the skin on (wash it!) and slice into wedges. Line a 9x13 pan with foil, put in potatoes, and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkler generously with seasoned salt and italian herbs (mine is a grinder of rosemary, red pepper flakes, and oregano). For sweet potatoes use seasoned salt and a bit of cayenne pepper. Bake at 400 until done, then turn up the broiler and let them get golden and crunchy. Serve with ketchup or fry sauce.)
Thai night: Chicken Satay (always a favorite at every Thai restaurant we go to!), rice, fruit
I have to say, and I think J will attest to this, I think I'm a pretty good cook! One of my coworkers eats the same things, over and over, and they're pretty bland things at that. I am so glad that J is not a picky eater and that we get to try out all different kinds of food from all over the world (except the thing he loves most, the thing he is always asking me to make is Magic Cookie Bars). So what's for dinner tonight, you ask? Well, because I have Young Women's on Wednesday nights, J does it all (he's usually just a good helper on other nights). He's a good cook in his own right, and he always does up the presentation like a real chef. What a guy!
(Check out my other post today on Complex Schematics.)
-

1 comments:
I have to agree..you are a great cook. John is a picky eater and I am a bad cook, so we have pasta most nights :) I am going to try your recipes though and we will see maybe I can become a good cook too! Oh and by the way I thought the blog Complex Schematics was J's blog :) I enjoy that blog as well!
Post a Comment