I planned ahead for last weekend. I have set a goal that I (we) will have the housework done during the week so that we can have Saturdays to spend together. So I had everything done on Thursday night. It was so nice to wake up on Saturday morning and not have to think about cleaning the bathroom or unloading the dishwasher or anything like that! We started the day by picking up a chair from Craigslist for the baby's room for me to nurse in. We lucked out - it's the exact cushion and wood combo that I wanted from Ikea, but at 1/3 of the price! And it's hardly been used. We had to unstrap the carseat to fit it in the back of the car and had a laugh every time we took a corner and the carseat would go flying across the backseat. Is it awful that we hoped that people thought that we did really have a baby strapped in there and were just letting it tumble around?
We went to Whole Foods and picked up a bunch of food for a picnic at Greenlake. J had what was quite possibly the best reuben of his life and I had a delicious sandwich with spicy olive salad on pretzel bread. Never had pretzel bread before. We walked around, soaking in the sun and the sights - there were probably 50 people dressed up in random costumes on kid's bikes. I liked the Superman on the tricycle.
We figured since we were more than halfway there, we would head to Seattle Center and check out the EMP. They're having a Jim Henson exhibit right now that I really wanted to see, and I saw on the news that they also have a special tribute to Michael Jackson going.
Out front they set out sidewalk chalk for people to leave messages. Other than the random glass figurines that someone left it was really touching.
Inside they had a huge screen playing Billie Jean, along with the jacket and glove on display.

After seeing that, along with the exhibits on Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain (wished there was more on him and the grunge movement, since Nirvana had more of an impact on me and J than the Jimi Hendrix Experience did, but I guess suicide by gun isn't as family friendly as accidental sleeping pill overdose), it got me thinking about talent. All 3 of these men had incredible talent, so much so that it turned into a burden for them. The tragedy of having so much to offer the world, eternal possibilities, limited to the constraints of mortality.
We checked out the Sci-Fi Museum that's in the EMP. Lately we've been realizing that we're much more into sci-fi than we previously thought. And we're okay with that. We've embraced the geeks within us. We rabidly watch Lost, we play Lego Star Wars on the PS3, we're excited to see the new Star Trek movie, we read dystopian novels (and discuss them), if/when we have a boy, his room will be decorated in vintage robot gear...Needless to say, we enjoyed the Sci-Fi Museum.
Finally we walked over to the Jim Henson exhibit. They had tons of sketches and video clips, including a series of 8 second commercials he did in the 1960s and a short film he made in the 1970s that was just a series of images moving like a stream of consciousness. He was able to capture, really, just how quickly the mind moves from one thing to another. I loved the part where the scene flashed back and forth between a man (Jim) and a woman eating, and each scene they were more and more caveman-like, ending with a dish being served and it was Jim's head on the platter. The highlights were the puppets - they had Bert and Ernie, Kermit, Rowlf, and several others. We were hoping for a life size Big Bird or something, but the exhibit was well-done and had a lot of stuff in it. I liked seeing how far a person's imagination can take him when it isn't stifled.
We finished out the day by viewing the Seattle skyline from Queen Anne's Kerry Park and then heading to the mall. If that sounds like a lot of walking, it was. I was hoping that all that walking would put me into labor. Obviously it didn't. But on Sunday I was talking to a friend at church and she said she had done the same thing and then was glad the next day that she didn't go into labor because she was exhausted from all that walking! So I guess I'm glad that it didn't happen.

What the world looks like from my perspective.
p.s.
Check out J's blog for a really nice (if I do say so myself) picture of me that he took yesterday in Edmonds.

5 comments:
Caroline would love to touch that Grover. She is a HUGE Grover, Ernie and Elmo fan right now. She sleeps with a stuffed Grover every night.
You look like you will pop. Just what you wanted to hear, I know. But you still look great.
And what are you decorating your girl's room in since you can't do vintage robots?
Have J put some pictures of her nursery up on his blog.
Great newsy writing and pictures.
What a day!
Love the goal of having weekends free. Something you will come to appreciate more and more once E gets here.
Great perspective.....at least you can still see your feet!
She will be here soon 'and this shall come to pass'
MOM...
I love your big belly! By the way I already knew you were really into Sci-Fi :)
Hey There,
You must be getting excited! Any day now! I took a look at J's blog. AWESOME. I see that he's taken some pics of Miles and Oliva. We would love to get in on the picture taking action. Still no family pictures and Johnny is almost 2 :0( Let me know the stats and maybe we can arrange something for August.
Hey Bethany! I have been looking for you at church, but I always miss you because of primary. . . so I am sure you heard the great news - I got Emily to move here and into our ward!! I hope things are going well. You look great and I am excited to hear about the baby. I also love your blog - so fun to read!!!! I also checked out your husbands (because Emily told me about it) and I am very impressed!! If he needs more practice, we would love to help!!! I have no pictures of either of my kids and would love a new family photo. . . anyhoo, take care and if you need a good foot rub to start labor - call me :)
-Natalie Ford
Post a Comment