I still remember the day that I asked the librarian at Lehi Junior High for any recommendations. I can see the library in my mind - small even though it had a vaulted ceiling, right in the center of the school, with that familiar old book smell and yellow artificial light. I was in 7th grade, but I wasn't into young adult-type books. I wanted something engrossing and romantic, but intellectual and not tawdry. She suggested Pride & Prejudice. And so it began.
I read it the first time on my own, the second time with a dictionary so I could be sure I knew exactly what Jane Austen meant. My parents bought me a nice hardcover edition so that I could finally return the library's copy. I'm sure it was all I talked about for a couple months until...
I saw a commercial on A & E for the mini-series. It was to be shown in 2 parts, each 3 hours long. I marked my calendar (back in my junior high days I had one of those huge businessman desk calendars on my wall and I would draw little pictures on the different days to mark upcoming events, like a menorah for Hanukkah or a shoe for a track meet. I wish I kept them all, because I can't remember what picture I drew for Pride & Prejudice). I wasn't sure I would like it, because movies are never as good as the books and I am a stickler for literary and historical accuracy in films.
I was obsessed as soon as the movie began. They were using dialogue lifted straight from the book! The scenery, the music, the costumes, the little details in the rooms - it was all perfect. Each time I watched it I swooned, even though I knew how it would all end. Unfortunately I only recorded the 2nd part, but I watched those 3 hours over and over and soon I had it all memorized. 2 years later, when I was just about to turn 15, my parents surprised me at Young Women in Excellence with the 6 volume VHS cassettes they found at Costco. It was a sort of consolation for having to move to Spokane during Christmas break only a month later.
Those movies, that story, became my only friend for a time. I could just zone out into Regency England for almost 6 hours at a time and not have to think about how lonely I was. I could make my way in the world just like Elizabeth did and I would find a Mr. Darcy someday. I was a little resentful when I found out that certain people liked the book as well - it was something that was so personal to me. How could they possibly understand? I didn't want to share it with anyone who would take it lightly.
I met Tina when we were 16, the year before we started our junior year of high school. She understood. Every year since then (except for last year when she was in between South America and Australia, so we only had time for Becoming Jane) at the end of summer, we would watch Pride & Prejudice. We ate spinach dip, grilled cheese and tomato soup, and lots of chocolate, and drank tea. We laughed in the 2nd hour when Mr. Collins proposed. We sighed in the 4th hour when Elizabeth visited Pemberley and Mr. Darcy came around the corner "a little less formally attired."
It was more than just a story with Tina, too - it was a tradition.
When I was 1st with J, we started calling Pride & Prejudice and other period dramas like it "Me Movies." J doesn't watch Me Movies. Sometimes I wish he would because I think it would give him more insight into my personality. I was always trying to get him to watch P & P. A long time ago he told me that he would watch it with me whenever I was pregnant.
Still, I was surprised when, on Sunday, faced with a rainy afternoon and nothing to do, J suggested that we watch it. I promised him I wouldn't say any lines along with the characters (he hates that). We took a break in the middle for a lovely Easter dinner, but we watched the whole thing. And guess what? He actually paid attention and said he liked it.
Victory in our day! Success in our time!
-

2 comments:
go dude!
i've been there -
3 - pops
Sigh! I miss our marathons. In fact, I made the mistake of not taking my P&P dvds with me here, which I'm now kicking myself for. I did watch Bride and Prejudice a few weeks ago, and that was a fair (if small) consolation. (Want to know what my password is to post this? "brejud". It's like it was scrambling "Bride and Prejudice"...oh the small things.
Post a Comment