Tuesday, December 9, 2008

I LOVE CHRISTMASTIME!

This is no secret. I love the music - the old classics especially and when the Tabernacle sings O Holy Night or Angels We Have Heard on High. I love the lights - driving around and looking at people's houses, the way the room looks when it is dark and the tree is the only thing glowing. I love the decorations - kitschy, classy, country, modern...whatever your personality is, there's a different looking snowman for you. I love the food - toffee, zipper-skin oranges (I'm eating one right now), egg nog, coconut bon bons dipped in chocolate...I could go on and on! I love the smells - cinnamon, cloves, peppermint, pine.

I love that my birthday is only 1 week before Christmas. Just don't give me 1 present, wrapped in Christmas paper, and say, "This counts for both, okay?" Other than that I'm happy to share. I think people are partial to the season in which they are born, but even if I was born some other month, I would still love Christmastime.

I love my Nativity that my parents made for me. Jesus comes out of his manger! That's a must.

I love that J goes along with it all, even when I dance and sing to Mele Kalikimaka. That he realizes it's normal (for me at least) to cry during Mr. Krueger's Christmas and even Elf (that scene at the end, when they're all singing?). That we have been together long enough to have traditions and memories to laugh about (this is our 8th Christmas together!). That he's just as happy as me to go the day after Thanksgiving to pick out our tree.


It's a perfect tree this time. I love that Fiona hangs out behind it every year. I think she loves it as much as I do.


But do you know what I hate? New Year's Day, when it all comes down and gets packed away. I think I need to find a new tradition that will make that day better.

5 comments:

Bridgette said...

Your tree is very bright! I can't believe you fit it in that corner :)

Allie said...

How did you score a Nativity from Mom and Dad?

Richard said...

Fiona is absolutely precious. She and the Frank are my favorite Grand Cats. (Well my only grand cats I guess) MOM...

Torrie said...

i soooo know what you mean about the 'one present counts as both' in christmas paper thing! {i secretly really hate when people give me christmas decorations for my birthday too!} if someones birthday is around easter do you give them easter decorations? i think not!
your tree is beautiful!
and my fiona likes to play with the long ornaments on my tree.
i don't take the decorations down till a few days after new years, it makes me less sad that way.

Audrey said...

Amen to New Years. Sad. That's the only time I wish for a few seconds that I had an artificial tree and could keep it up 'til Feb. But then I remember the wonderful smell and all the other wonderful decor, music, etc. Then I'm okay with boxing up Christmas, knowing how much fun it will be to open as the first present right after Thanksgiving next year ...

 
designed by suckmylolly.com