You want to know what is playing on my Pandora Radio RIGHT NOW? Only one of the greatest songs ever: "Crying" by Roy Orbison. Allie mentioned awhile back that her daughter's all-time favorite song is "Barracuda" by Heart. She's 6. Isn't that awesome?
I have some all-time favorite songs, but "all-time" is kindof a shifty modifier. They could change at any time. Didn't President Kimball say something about the best songs have yet to be sung, the best books have yet to written, the best art has yet to be painted?
In no particular order:
1. "Blue Velvet" by Bobby Vinton. Used to listen to Bobby Vinton a lot as a kid. A lot.
2. "Canon in D" by Pachelbel. Just a beautiful melody.
3. "I Summon You" & "Everything Hits at Once" by Spoon. I like Spoon. Got to see them a couple years ago at Bumbershoot. It was one of the best days of my life.
4. "What's Going On?" by Marvin Gaye. Could listen to this song over and over (that's the definition of a favorite song - as soon as it's over, you want to hit "repeat"). Love the message.
5. "Crying" by Roy Orbison. Sad song. I can picture a whole movie in my head revolving around just this song.
6. There's this song by DJ Shadow (it may actually be a couple) that I can't ever get enough of. I was reading a book called "The Blind Assassin" at the same time I was listening to these songs and it just fit together so perfectly - sci fi / forbidden love.
7. I would have a hard time narrowing down a favorite song by Interpol. Probably my favorite band, followed by Bloc Party.
8. "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler. Had to put that one in because I can do a rousing rendition of it.
9. "At Last" by Etta James. We danced to this at our wedding.
10. "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. Danced with my dad to this at the aforementioned wedding.
11. There's a bunch of stuff by RJD2 that I could listen to over and over as well. That all makes me think about J and going to Montana to visit him. It's nice to think about J. Saw RJD2 in concert in Missoula. He gave out turkey sandwiches to people who guessed where his samples came from.
12. "Maybe I'll Catch Fire" by Alkaline Trio. Reminds me of high school. 1st concert I was allowed to go to - senior year, all the way to Seattle, with Bridgey, J, and the white Bill Bellamy. I couldn't believe I actually got to go do that. That also ranks as one of my best days. I think the lead singer looked at me!
13. "My Way," "Stranger in the Night" by Frank Sinatra, "Memories Are Made of This," "Volare" by Dean Martin...I love Rat Pack songs.
14. "1979" & "Tonight, Tonight" by The Smashing Pumpkins. Just about perfection.
Okay, I'll stop there.
One more - "Under Pressure" by Queen.
While I'm at it, these are the songs I want played at my funeral:
-"Because I Have Been Given Much" (liked this one since I was little. I think because it talks about bread).
-Any hymn with a harmony (my dad would sing the girl part and I would sing the boy part).
-"Nearer My God, To Thee" (you'll never guess what the tune name for that one is)
-"Do You Believe in Love" by Huey Lewis And The News (just to break the tension)
-

3 comments:
very interesting playlist.
where did you develop your musical interests?
OH YEAH!!!Maybe I'll Catch Fire!! LOVE IT!!
As a music snob, I wanted to throw this out there:
DJ Shadow- "Building steam with a grain of salt"
"Under Pressure"- David Bowie done with Freddy Mercury from Queen.
PS. Where is Muskrat Love by The Captain and Tenille?
Good list.
Post a Comment