Thursday, September 11, 2008

One of my favorite websites to read, A Dress a Day, recently posted a Top Ten List about why skirts are better than pants. My favorites:

5. It is impossible to smuggle someone in -- or out -- of prison, a masked ball, a hotel room, etc. by hiding them under your pants. (Plus, there is no such thing as "hooppants.")
6. When you strap a gun to your thigh in pants, you lose the element of surprise.
8. Twirling in a pair of pants results in 87% less happiness.
10. Skirt blowing up, revealing underthings? Sexy. Pants falling down, revealing underthings? Humiliating.

Today is the perfect day for a skirt (it doesn't matter when you read this)! It's in the mid-70s, the sky is blue, it's early fall...the only thing that would make it more perfect would be if the leaves were changing colors and I was on my way to school. It's just right for a cardigan in the morning and it's not too hot to bake things in the oven. I can't decide which season I like best, however. I love fall for the aforementioned reasons and more - cardigans, crunchy leaves to play in, going back to school, the 1st frost, sunny autumn days, the perfect time to watch Pride & Prejudice, squash and zucchini, apples and cinnamon. My imaginary fall has me in the 20s (all my imaginations have me in some bygone era) in a plaid skirt, letterman sweater, hair in finger waves.


I've just been pinned, and I'm off to see my new boyfriend, the star running back, play football at some gorgeous east coast college, where the leaves are all lemon and rust-colored, and white clapboard farmhouses and red barns dot the rolling green hills.


Can you just imagine what it would feel like to drive through New England on a crisp fall day in an open air Model T,


stopping at a local farm for hot cider and a pumpkin? Cheering the kind of football game where the men just wear thick sweaters and their helmets are leather skull caps?


Listening to jazz records on your friend's Victrola?


It's too bad I'll never be able to live my perfect autumn day, isn't it?

4 comments:

Richard said...

Oh Bethany, what a delightful trip this is. You were born too late I guess but lucky for me you came when you did. Thanks for waiting for me. Love you, MOM...

Tina said...

I have a feeling that you and I both had a previous life in our mothers' eras. Old souls, old souls...

Allie said...

that girl could be one of us...won't say family name right about now...but she has the signature nose!

Janetta said...

Thanks for the delightful tour through your dream era. I think I would have loved that time and season too. But don't think you can't have at least some of your dream now, today, in 2008. I am about to make one of your dreams come true...yes, I was required to pass off about a million finger waves at hair school, so come on over sometime and we'll get you looking as dolled up as your letterman Dapper Dan.
P.S. Did you see Leatherheads? I think you'll love it!

 
designed by suckmylolly.com