Friday, July 11, 2008

Last night was a welcome home luau for everyone's new best friend, Miles, at the park. We had so much fun! Audrey and I had a couple mishaps (I totally burned the chicken teriyaki in the crock pot (didn't even know that was possible) and had to go get sandwich stuff, and then Audrey left the decorations at her parents' house (luckily her mom brought them with a couple minutes to spare!)), but it all turned out. Family parties are fun and it's also fun when the baby is already here, so everyone can hold him. Fun fun fun.

Here is a picture of Miles when we first met him. He's only a couple days old! Quite the little dude.


Check out some more pictures at my friend Torrie's blog. I'm on there, too, as a special bonus. (Because it's all about me, as my mom says.)

We also had a brush with celebrity. Ken Jennings was there. I have no idea why. He just showed up.

Actually, his wife is new proud mama JB's visiting teacher, so we had invited the whole family to the baby shower.

Here's the thing though: nobody talked to him. I think that people either knew they knew him from somewhere, but didn't know where, or did know where they knew him from and didn't want to say anything stupid. I fell into the latter category (after seeing him at Stake Conference I called my brother and we made up all kinds of silly and embarrassing things to say to a Jeopardy champ. I would have made a complete fool of myself had I actually said anything). Everyone wants to make him feel normal, so they don't want to just talk about Jeopardy or the fact he was on the Colbert Report or whatever, but the pendulum swings to the other extreme, and no one says a word. I'm sure he felt really normal.

Actually, I have, in the past, said off-the-cuff things to a famous person, and it didn't go so well. Bill Nye the Science Guy was a show on PBS that I watched religiously as a kid (I'm singing the theme song in my head right now). They made science cool (experiments! explosions! music videos!). So, imagine my delight when, as a student at UW, I saw Bill Nye himself, on campus, filming for his latest TV show. He was in Red Square, right next to Suzzallo Library. I ran up behind him and yelled, "Bill Nye for president!" The Science Guy wasn't too happy. He had to start his whole spiel again. At this point I saw some other kids from the class I was walking to and I called for them to join me. They were just as excited to see him as I was. "We love you Bill Nye!" we cheered. And then Bill Nye proceeded to cut filming and move to a different location, cussing all the way.

That's me, a PBS celebrity heckler. Watch out, Rick Steves - I'll probably cry and beg for a job if I ever see you in the streets of Edmonds.

1 comments:

Bridgette said...

Oh Beffy...you are so silly!

 
designed by suckmylolly.com