In honor of Father's Day I am going to give a "Top 10(ish)" list about my dad, in no particular order:
-He likes tapioca pudding. Sometimes when he goes to the grocery store, it will "jump" in his cart. In fact, when I was little, all kinds of treats would jump in his cart.
-Whenever I smell Old Spice (the old-fashioned kind in the white bottle with the ship on the front) I think of my dad. Whenever I smell sawdust I think of my dad. Whenever I go into a hardware store I think of my dad.
-I asked him once if he could have been anything, what would he have done. He said, "A teacher." I think he would have been an excellent teacher (althought he still is, just in a different capacity!).
-I like that he knows what kind of wood something is made of just by looking at it (that would be the years in a lumber mill and as a cabinet salesman).
-He dates periods in his life by what car he had at the time. He knows what the original factory colors were for old cars (and consequently, if a car has been restored faithfully). He used to be in a car club - he still loves drag racing. We've gone to many races together.
-He thinks I'm some kind of super genius and he brags about how awesome I am (and it's all true, by the way).
-He made me breakfast every morning in high school. I tend to be late to everything, so he would leave it by my door so I could eat while I was getting ready. When I was in elementary school, he would write funny little sayings and poems on my napkins in my sack lunches. I kept every single one. Once a boy grabbed my napkin and went to throw it away. I chased him across the playground and kicked him in the shins until he gave that napkin note back to me. And so that is the only dirty napkin in my collection.
-He married me and J. He has always been the greatest example to me of an ideal husband and father. I was honored that he could perform our wedding ceremony and that I can wear my mom's wedding band as my own ring.
-He had quite a collection of ties and he would let me pick one out for him for Sundays. He would let me do his hair sometimes, too (I guess that's what you get when you have 5 girls).
-Whenever I have a question about something about the church or about the gospel, I can ask him and he knows the answer and which General Authority said what about it. I appreciate the time and effort that has gone in to his extensive study, since he and my mom were converts after they were married and he didn't serve a mission.
-He does a mean impression of Daffy Duck, complete with dance.
-

2 comments:
you are too kind and too much fun. thanx for the blog and thanx for being you.
pops
I wanna see the Daffy Duck impression... Your dad is amazing, and funny. Actually your whole family is funny, and you are a super genious (in your own kind of way).
Post a Comment