Bridgey and her sister Megan came over for the weekend to see Em and me because we all needed some fun. And did we ever get some! They drove in Friday night, but I didn't see them until Saturday afternoon. I met up with them at Em's house in Wallingford and we took silly pictures on the lawn. We are weird kids. It was such a nice day, so we decided to go to Folkfest at the Seattle Center. Folkfest draws out all different kinds of people - it was cool to see such a variety of hippies. But someone there wasn't feeling the love (more on that in a bit). We found some seriously awesome journals - this guy makes them from old books! Em found a book that she used to read as a kid and I found a sewing book from the 60's (we also picked out some gifts, but I don't want anyone to be let in on their surprise). We grabbed a mango lemonade from the Caribbean food stand (delicious) and were deciding which way to go. Bridgey said that we should walk through the craft section 1st, so we started making our way to the right. Here's where it gets crazy - Bridgey heard the gunshot and said something about this is why Megan doesn't like Seattle. But no one else heard it, so we didn't know what she was talking about. Then we saw people running to get out and Megan said it's because they had hash in their pockets. We laughed, but then we heard that someone had been shot. Then we heard it was 2 people. We heard the sirens and we could see the commotion, so we decided to call it a day and catch the next bus outta there. The vendors were really pissed, as a shooting is not good for business. Why is this so crazy? Because if we would have still been getting our lemonades, we would have been right where it happened. Yikes!
Em and I are trying to convince Bridgey to go to India with us, so we decided on Indian food for dinner. We found this great place in Fremont - I will definitely be going back there! Everything was so yummy, from the baba ghanooj to the garlic naan to the falafel to the butter chicken to the tandoori chicken dipped in raita. Mmm....and J got all the leftovers. He was stoked. Then we went back to my place to watch Bride and Prejudice. If all that doesn't convince you that India is the place to be, then, well, I guess we'll go somewhere else.
I had to make some phone calls about the upcoming YW's activity, so while we were checking on some things at Em's house before the movie, I returned a call from the YW president. She wasn't too happy that I wasn't going to be at church on Sunday (and thus couldn't go to BYC), and I'm sure my goofy friends in the background weren't making things any better (I could barely hold a normal conversation (but when can I ever?)). She was going to get a phone # for me, but I needed a pen 1st. I was waiting for her to say that she had the # ready, so I was chatting with Em about something on her chalkboard that was a bit risque. She kept saying what it was louder and louder and I was laughing so hard and then the president says, "So are you ready for the # yet?" It had been a couple minutes and we had been waiting for each other! She sounded pretty peeved about it all. Well, whatever, my friends are silly. I am too. That's why they're my friends.
Sunday was our day to go to Port Townsend (my favorite place). We took the Edmonds ferry over (and the car alarm went off in transit!), and of course we had to stop in Port Gamble. We bought some stuff at the fruit stand (and Em and Sarah (Em's roommate) fell in love with the owner's sons in the brochure). I'd never seen the cemetery on top of the hill at Port Gamble, and since Bridgey and Em share my love of cemeteries (holy crap - was that ax always there? I dare you to go look in that shed), we had to check it out. 150 year old graves, toppled headstones, captions about lost love and Indian wars, all overlooking the water. Very cool.

Did I mention that Port Townsend is my favorite place?


I was glad to be able to share it with my friends and now they love it, too! We walked around Uptown and Downtown, stopping in at the kitchen shops, antique shops, jewelry shops, getting some awesome Mexican food for dinner, and finishing it off with a treat from the 50's soda fountain. We headed over to Fort Worden and walked along the beach to the lighthouse.

The weatherman was so wrong about the rain - we had blue skies the whole day. The only downside was having to wait an hour for the ferry home, but even then we turned the car into a rockin' dance party.

I love my friends! Thanks for such a fun weekend!

1 comments:
We love you too! Oh and by the way I am totally convinced...to go to India that is, after watching Bride and Prejudice how can I not be! I had such a great time hanging out with you and Emily, I can't wait come over again.
Post a Comment