Thursday, March 20, 2008

The other day I realized that it has been 9 (nine) years since J and I have known each other. Whoa.

I was a sophomore in high school, but my locker was downstairs with the juniors. One fine spring day I was walking down the hall when I realized that this tall, hairy Swede was following me. He asked me about my t-shirt. (I was really into Sailor Moon at the time.)
Matt asked if I would like to take part in a photography project he was working on. I think it was because I make wild gestures when I talk. How did he know that? And can that kind of energy be captured on film? I was a little frightened by both thoughts. I said I would think about it. A couple days later he came up to me again and asked if I wanted to go to 4000 Holes on Monroe Street (Spokaneites - remember that place?). A record store seemed much safer than a photo shoot. He said he'd be bringing a friend. I searched all day for someone to go with me - nobody could. I was a little frightened again.

After school we met at my locker - me, Matt the Swede, and his friend, a Japanese boy who was very cute (and he skateboarded! I was really into skaters then, too (still am)). We all piled into a tiny white Ford Festiva (J laid in the back, because there was no backseat, really) and we headed downtown. They were both really nice to me and J was especially funny. I didn't buy anything at the record store. I was too nervous that I would buy the wrong music and then get made fun of. We went to Jack in the Box and here's where I knew it was meant to be: J and I ordered the exact same thing, unbeknownst to each other: Jumbo Jack with cheese, no tomato, and a Dr. Pepper. As we locked eyes over this discovery, we knew that the stars has aligned and that somehow we would be together, with or without tomatoes. He tenderly held my hand and as I dabbed the ketchup off his chin, we stumbled to think of the right words to describe the connection that could not be denied.

Totally kidding! We had a good laugh and we discussed the virtues of a good fountain drink of Dr. Pepper with crushed ice.

5 comments:

Allie said...

glad to know something good can come out of Jack in the Box! Cute post!

Richard said...

Just think if your had been a root beer girl! PC

Bridgette said...

Your not joking...I remeber you telling me all about it when you got back.

Shoda said...

It didn't happen that way. You met me while I was out signing autographs and I fell for a groupie.

Audrey said...

cute story! Whatever happened to the hairy guy?

 
designed by suckmylolly.com