Tuesday, February 9, 2010

a six month retrospective - month two


Evey's 2nd month of life started with her 1st vacation, a drive down Whidbey Island. She was such a good car traveler, hardly ever fussed and just fell right asleep. When she was only a couple weeks old we started using a pacifier, just so I could get a break. It took her a long time to get the hang of it, and several different brands, but during her 2nd month she really took to it (especially at night). And speaking of sleeping, she was a champion sleeper. At 6 weeks she woke up at 3am for a quick feeding, then again at 6am, then up for the day at 9am. She only cried when she was hungry or tired and gave us a smile towards the end of that month. It was such a relief.

She was so funny, though, because we would only get a period of smiles right after she ate, and then it was back to serious baby. J would swaddle her up and then balance her on his hand (which must have contributed to her being able to sit up in her Bumbo chair that month). She hated tummy time and still got the hiccups almost everyday (just like she did in the womb).

J's mom came to visit when Evey was 5 weeks old. It was an interesting couple weeks, and I wish I could say that having a baby gave me and J more patience. But the highlight was at the end of her stay we all went to Port Townsend on a beautiful, sunny Saturday. Janice left that Sunday, and that Monday was J's 1st day of unemployment. Evey and I were so happy to have him home with us. We left the next week for a nice looong trip down the coast. We went to Westport and Seaside and Cannon Beach and Garibaldi and Tillamook and Portland - all of our favorite places. I loved being able to share those things with Evey, even if she wasn't really cognizant of what was happening. It made me realize what all those people had been talking about, that having a child meant experiencing the world all over again.

3 comments:

Bridgette said...

I am jealous that you and Evey got to spend time with J. I would love for John to be home with me so we can go do things together and go on trips more often together.

Allie said...

She's also in the Bumbo chair so early because she's going to be super smart and super alert. I can tell!

Allie said...

I forgot to say that all the reading about the c-section recovery is already making my toes curl.

I am hoping I survive....

 
designed by suckmylolly.com