Friday, June 5, 2009

On our way back from Portland over Memorial Day weekend we took a detour to Mt. St. Helens.  We had stopped for gas and lunch and we knew that we would be hitting some nasty traffic on the way home, so J suggested we see how far away the volcano was.  It's only 52 miles from I-5!  It was a great diversion and meant that by the time we were back on the road, there was no more traffic.

This valley leading up to the mountain was filled with between 60 and 600 feet of ash and debris.  You can see the riverbed looks gray still, and the ground down there is perfectly flat.


There are 2 things in this picture that are about to explode.  I'll probably go first.


Our handsome photographer.


There are so many gorgeous viewpoints along the way.  This bridge is at the edge of the blast zone, 14 miles from the crater.


We were surprised that around the mountain itself there is still very little life after 29 years.


It's a spectacular hole in the ground.


Something I recommend - being tourists in your own state.  


4 comments:

emilynuchols said...

Awwww! I love you two!

Janetta said...

That looks great, we'll have to follow your advice and be WA tourists to that spot soon!

Bridgette said...

Last Sept John and I hiked up the mountain to the crater with John's brother and girlfriend. It took 9 hours, but it was worth it...amazing!!

Tina said...

You look like you're going to pop! You must be getting excited that you're so close to the end. Lovely pictures...

 
designed by suckmylolly.com