I went to my friend Vanessa's baby shower on Saturday and had one of the strangest "small world" experiences I've had yet in my 26 years.
I got there a little late and was chatting with my friend Audrey for a couple minutes when the hostess announced that it was time to start the matching game. I grabbed a chair and sat down, looking around the circle of women who were in attendance. It was mostly Vanessa's family. Across the room I saw a girl that looked oddly familiar - dark hair, gray eyes, round face - where did I know that face? The hostess had had us all put on nametags when we arrived, so I strained to see what hers said. "Emily." Holy crap, I knew it. This girl was one of my best buddies in elementary school in Port Orchard. How on earth did she know Vanessa? Holy crap! I haven't seen her in 15 years, since I moved from Port Orchard to Utah.
I couldn't talk to her just then. She got up to go to the bathroom and on her way back I whispered, "Emily, do you recognize me?" She was puzzled, but as soon as I mentioned our elementary school alma mater, she said, "I knew it! I just thought it was so weird that you'd be here!" Turns out her husband and Vanessa's husband are best friends. She said sometimes my name just pops into her mind, like remembering that on the night that OJ was running from police was also my going-away slumber party at my house. We kept running upstairs to watch the chase on TV. Sometimes her name pops into my head too, remembering the parties we would have for our American Girl dolls in 2nd grade (she had Molly, I had Kirsten). We exchanged e-mail addresses with plans to meet up another time.
Wow - small world after all.
-

5 comments:
Wow! what a treat to meet up with someone from the past, especially someone you liked!
Won't it be fun to get with her and have some exchanges of the past 15 or so years. Neat.
MOM...
She doesn't ring a bell-
Email me her last name-maybe then I will get it?
That is so cool! Your mom is right and it is a good thing that you liked her otherwise it would have been a little akward :)
she lived accross the street from Daniel Whipspin.
pops
Isn't it weird how that happens? Adam and I went to dinner at the Spaghetti Factory last night and the girl who seated us is from Price, UT - 40 miles from where I grew up! Small world indeed!
Post a Comment