So I bought a bike a couple weekends ago in order to ride to work. I don't have that far to go, and it seemed like a waste of gas to drive when I am fortunate enough to live so close to where I work. I have yet to ride it, however, because of the crazy rainy weather we've been having. Today after work my friend was going to cut my hair (thanks again JB! I haven't combed out the curls yet! You always do such a great job) and she lives pretty close to me as well, so I thought I'd give the bike a trial run and see how it would be to ride to work. There is a small hill just north of our place, but I've walked it before, no biggie. Hmm...I should have re-thought that. I also should have remembered my inhaler (what was I thinking?!) I was winded going up the hill, and by 3 blocks I had had it. I barely had enough breath to call J and ask him to meet me on the road. He rode the bike home and I took the car to JB's for my haircut. The thing with inhalers, though, is that they actually suck, so it's a toss up whether to wait it out (time consuming, leaves me exhausted) or deal with the side effects of the inhaler (heart racing, weakness, shakiness). I was feeling a lot better by the time I got to my haircut, but I was pretty embarrassed. It really is a little hill. I guess I shouldn't feel that way, since this isn't something that I do on purpose. I mean, I have all my limbs and the rest of my body works the way it should. But the thing with asthma is that because it's not a condition that people can see, I don't really get taken seriously until something happens. Thankfully JB (who is working on becoming a personal trainer) agreed to let me be her guinea pig so I can work to improve my lungs. Wish me luck!
-

2 comments:
First of all, don't EVEN be embarrased you goof...second of all, I hope you know what you're getting into by letting me train you...After all, I have an "on-the-court face" in addition to the "off-the-court face" you already know and love :o) Just playin, I'll go pretty easy on you (well, at first) ha ha ha
Guinea pig? Maybe I'd better wish JB luck. Cute haircut is a good trade off though. MOM
Post a Comment