Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Our Kona farewell party.

With a 7am flight and having to gas up the rental car and return it, we figured we needed to be out the door by 5:45am. But if there's one thing about me that is consistent, it's that I can be counted on to be late (but sometimes I do surprise!). Neither of us were too concerned about it (J is used to it by now), but we didn't get on the road until about 6:15am. It took us 15 minutes to get to the airport (6:30am), 5 minutes to get some gas (6:35am), and about 10 minutes returning the rental car and shuttling to the terminal (6:45am). Kona airport is little (and pretty much open - oh to not have to worry about the elements!), and we got through check-in and security pretty fast, although we did have to check our own bags (as in weigh them, tag them, and load them onto the conveyor belt). They rushed us onto the tarmac (yeah, it's that kind of airport) to board the plane. We got some looks, but J said that this is definitely the way to fly - no lines and no waiting. As soon as we buckled in, we taxied and took off!

We were so excited to be back in Honolulu for our last day. (Originally we weren't supposed to leave Kona until 4:30 that afternoon, but we wanted 1 last day on Oahu instead. By turning in our rental car early, we got a refund and that turned out to be as much as getting another rental in Honolulu, so it worked out really easily.) Our flight home didn't leave until 9:20pm, so we had a lot of time to kill. We picked up our rental car for the day and drove back to Waikiki. We walked around, picked up some breakfast, and sat by Waikiki Beach.


On Waikiki Beach there is a statue to honor the man who brought surfing to the world, Duke Kahanamoku. In 1917 he rode a wave that was over a thousand yards all the way to the beach (an accomplishment that no one else has been able to do).


We went to the International Market and I learned that my bargaining skills need to be polished. I saw a ring that I liked and I didn't realize that you were supposed to negotiate prices, so I paid what she asked. J wasn't too happy about that and was teasing me that I was such a sucker, so I went back to the lady (I told her I found a scratch in the ring). She gave me back almost half of what I paid - J and I were relieved! I certainly learned my lesson (which is buy in a place that you don't have to bargain. Just kidding, it's let J do it all).

We drove up to Punchbowl National Cemetary after that. (I like going to cemetaries, especially ones where the grave markers aren't laid flat into the ground. I know this makes it easier for mowing, but it's better to have some variety and character, don't you think? When I lived in Lehi I had to walk to school through the cemetary (well, I didn't have to, I could have gone around it) and I loved reading the names and dates and thinking about those people. It's never been like a Goth kind of love of cemetaries or anything; I just like walking around them.) Military cemetaries get to me (even though the markers are flat) in a certain way (and so does "Taps." The 1st time I heard it played live after my grandfather's funeral was at a Civil War reenactment a couple years ago and I think people thought I was just really affected by the battle scene or something) and I think Punchbowl is specifically designed to elicit those emotions.


Flanking this statue (Athena?) are several walled rooms with the names of those who were killed in Pacific wars but their bodies were never found. There are a lot of names.


Looking the other way.


Behind the Athena statue is a corridor with these massive mosaics detailing the battles fought in the Pacific (except for Vietnam). We took a picture of this particular one for my sister, who has lived on this particular island.

The 1st person to be buried at Punchbowl - an unknown soldier killed in Pearl Harbor. He's in the bottom left corner of the central grassy area, behind the flag.


When you arrive they give you a pamphlet detailing some of the famous people buried here, including some astronauts and Congressional Medal receipients. But I immediately saw that Ernie Pyle is there! He is buried between 2 unknown soldiers, fitting for a man who was committed to telling the soldiers' story in wartime.


The views from Punchbowl are amazing. This is looking to the northwest.


This is looking towards the south.


We had wanted to do some swimming, but then we realized that we would be sitting on a plane all gritty. Instead we went to Sandy Beach and watched people boogie board.


Look at those waves! This was actually a calmer moment. There were a ton of people there, trying their luck. A big wave would come and, because the water is so clear, you could see them get tossed around. We got some fish tacos at a taco truck parked there and they were the best we've ever had. Mmm...

Hey Mom, look at all the places your sarong has been!

We finished the night at a yucky restaurant (just like we started the trip; how poetic) and then waited in the airport for our overnight flight back to Seattle. We tried to sleep as best we could, but we really crashed once we got home.

Home. It was good to be home and see our kitties. But I could have traveled longer, I could have kept going.

Hawaii, you haven't seen the last of us!

1 comments:

Bridgette said...

What is with us and cemetaries? When John and I were in Boston, the first thing I wanted to see was the first cemetary in the US. I think it's because they scare us :)

 
designed by suckmylolly.com