Friday, April 4, 2008

Oops - where did Thursday go? It's funny, because I was so bored at work, and I knew what I was going to write about, but I guess in my mind I had already written it. And I was going to be so good and write something every day! Well, there will be 2 today.

I love springtime in Seattle.


I just plain love Seattle. I'm lucky, I suppose, that the rain and clouds don't get me down. It's a trade-off - yes, it's wet, but it's green. It's cloudy, but it doesn't get too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. I love living by the water and by the mountains.


I love the cherry trees in bloom, especially when the wind blows them down like confetti. I love the little tiny daisies that carpet the lawns.

I love the modern and clean lines in the downtown skyline in contrast to all the big scraggly trees. I love the huge cranes at the docks that look like dinosaurs.

I love the political atmosphere - that people care about the environment and human rights. I love that people buy more books here than anywhere else in the country and that we're one of the most highly educated cities. I love that not everyone looks the same and that in some neighborhoods, the signs aren't written in English. But most of all, I loved going to school here.

UW was hard, and I worked hard to make it work. But even though I had some classes that were duds, every quarter I had at least one that I could throw my whole heart and soul into. I had finished all my prerequisites during Running Start my senior year and the Falls the next year. So when I got to UW, all I had to do was History. Every class for two years, History. I would have stayed longer if I could have.


On my last day of school, in March 2004, I had a friend take my picture in the quad in front of the cherry trees. Then I went to Something Silver in U-Village and bought myself a ring (I'm wearing it today - it's white mother-of-pearl with little silver flowers around it). I cried on the bus ride home. I hope someday, when I'm a teacher, that I can convey that kind of love of education, and the highs and lows that come with working for it, to my students.

5 comments:

Bridgette said...

I cried when I was done with school out of JOY not sorrow :)...oh wait I don't cry... WAHAHA

Shoda said...

I'm crying and I'm nowhere near done. Maybe that's why.

fkhoffman@yahoo.com said...

Beth
Thanks for the pictures of the market and ferry. Just what a homesick guy needs to see. There are things that you miss and then there are things you think you will never miss. But the market is what Seattle is all about. Kyle

Audrey said...

Oh how I love Seattle too! Yea for rain! And Green and never running out of things to do! We just did the "Ride the Ducks" tour. Have you tried that? Quite entertaining!

Richard said...

Your college career brought out the best in you and showed us what you really were capable of doing. You go. You will make an excellent teacher someday. MOM...

 
designed by suckmylolly.com