Just trying to get everything together at work and home before we leave...in 5 days! Woohoo! I tend to procrastinate doing the lame things here at work, like filing and archiving (and working in general). So now I'm left with all of those to do in the next couple days so I don't leave the office in shambles. I actually have a really awesome job, and I'm lucky to be able to take the time off to go to Hawaii, in addition to all of the perks that I have for working here. Like good ol' cash money. Make it rain!
It's kindof crazy how I ended up working here. We moved to Seattle in February 2005 - J got transferred to open the new store in Marysville and I was trying to get into Seattle University's Masters in Education program. I was looking for short-term work, since I didn't know if I was going to be in school that fall or not. So I ended up at this temp agency and I took all the tests and did the interviews and then I waited. Nothing. Then I got a phone call on a Friday to see if I could start at a construction place on Monday, 10am to 5pm, I think like $12 an hour, from late March until September. We only had one car at the time, and so we went to check the place out, and it happened to be on a bus line that went straight from our apartment to the office. It seemed too good to be true, but it wasn't! They had had a string of really awful front desk people before me, so I was welcome relief (my boss told me that one would come in to work in the clothes she had worn the day before, only without a bra. Another would file stuff wherever she wanted. I was fixing that chick's messes for at least a year.) Summer came and I found out I was not accepted to Seattle U. I was really bummed, but then my boss came to me and asked if they could buy me from the temp agency and make me a salaried employee. This meant that J could finally go to school and I could be the breadwinner. (The feminist in me was stoked.) Now I've been here for 3 years and it's the best thing I could have done, because even though I haven't been able to go back to school, J has, and that is more important right now. My working here has given J a job in the summer and it has helped to shape what he wants to do for his own career. And we get to go to Hawaii, for goodness sake! We have been so blessed by my job, I couldn't even name them all. (Don't worry, no one at work reads my blog, so I'm not actually brown-nosing to anyone in particular right now.)
comics courtesy of Toothpaste for Dinner
1 comments:
OK so the comic fits perfectly :)
Post a Comment