Join me and millions of people around the world tomorrow night at 8pm by turning out the lights for one hour to make a statement about climate change. Earth Hour was started in Sydney, Australia last year by the World Wildlife Fund and since then it has grown into a worldwide movement. 2.2 million people and 2100 businesses, including the Sydney Opera House and Harbour Bridge, turned out their lights for just one hour in 2007 and there was an energy savings of 10.2%, a big reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. It shows how such a simple thing can have a dramatic effect. Reduce your demand all year by unplugging appliances when they're not in use, turn off your computer instead of leaving it on stand-by, take reusable bags to the grocery store, and combine your errands into one trip. Know your carbon footprint.
But now you're thinking, "What can I possibly do for one hour on a Saturday night with no lights on?" I shouldn't have to tell you, should I?
-

2 comments:
I know what I am going to do :)
OOOOO...drawing in the dark for one whole hour!
Post a Comment